1) Butter - 1 1/4 sticks (5 oz./150 g).
2) Superfine (caster) sugar - 2/3 cup (5 1/2 oz./150 g).
3) Almonds - 1 cup (4 oz./110 g), grounded.
2) Vanilla Extract - 1 tsp.
3) Eggs - 2 large, beaten.
4) Puff pastry - 1 lb.(450 g).
5) Fava Bean - 1.
6) Milk/beaten egg - A little (to glaze).
A microwave, a small bowl, a greased baking sheet and a kitchen knife.
1) Pour butter into the bowl. Beat until creamy. Put in microwave for about 10 secs to soften, if too hard.
2) Add in the sugar and almonds. Stir well to mix uniformly.
3) Add the vanilla to the eggs. Pour into the almond mixture and beat well to mix the ingredients.
4) Spread out half of the pastry into a circular shape (of 12" diameter).
5) Gently raise the pastry circle onto a greased baking sheet.
6) Spoon the filling onto the pastry, spreading it to within 1" of the edges.
7) Place the fava bean onto the centre of the pastry and press into the filling.
8) Brush the pastry border with water to moisten a little.
9) Spread out the remaining pastry half into a similar 12" circle. Raise this over the filling and seal the edges with a firm press.
10) Flute the pastry edges, pressing the back of the kitchen knife into them.
11) Make a swirly design on the top with the blade tip.
12) Poke the blade tip into the middle of the pastry to let the steam escape.
13) Refrigerate the pastry for about half-an-hour.
14) Preheat the oven to 400 degree Fahrenheit (Gas Mark 6).
15) Lightly brush the pastry top with milk or beaten egg to glaze. Do not glaze the scored swirly pattern. This will help create the white swirls.
16) Place the pastry on the middle shelf of the oven. Bake for a little more than half-an-hour or until it rises well and is golden brown.
17) Serve immediately or refrigerate until required.