For the Dough:
1) Currants - 2 1/4 cups (12 oz./350 g).
2) Dark raisins - 2 cups (9 oz./250 g).
3) Golden raisins - 1 1/3 cup (4 oz./110 g), grounded.
2) Candied Orange Peel - 1/2 cup, chopped.
3) Candied cherries - 1/2 cup, (2 oz./60 g), chopped.
4) Brandy - 4 tbsp.
5) Plain flour - 1.
6) Cinnamon - 1 tsp., grounded.
7) Butter - 2 sticks (8 oz./225 g).
8) Light, soft brown sugar - 1 cup.
9) Eggs - 4 large, beaten.
10) Black strap molasses - 1 tbsp.
11) Grated zest of 1 lemon.
For the Topping:
1) Apricot Jam - 6 tbsp.
2) Walnut - 8, split into halves.
3) Prunes - 7, pitted.
4) Cherries - 8, candied.
5) Apricots - 4, dried.
6) Almonds - 4 whole, blanched.
A microwave, a small bowl, an 8" deep round cake pan, baking parchment, a large mixing bowl, a foil sheet, a skewer and a wire rack.
1) Place the dried fruits, candied peel and chopped cherries in the small bowl. Pour brandy over the ingredients. Cover and let steep overnight.
2) Turn over the oven temperature to 275 degree Fahrenheit (Gas Mark 1).
3) Grease the cake pan and line with baking parchment.
4) Sift the flour and cinnamon together.
5) Pour the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat until creamy.
6) Beat in the eggs little by little and then fold in the flour and cinnamon.
7) Add in the molasses and lemon zest. Stir well to combine with the mixture.
8) Spoon the mixture into the pan. Spread it evenly into a level. Make a little hollow in the middle.
9) Bake the cake for approximately 4 1/2 hours. Poke a skewer into the middle to see if it comes out clean. If it does not, bake a little more.
10) If the top of the cake is brown enough before cooking, cover it with a foil sheet for the rest of the cooking time.
11) Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan. Place it onto a wire rack to cool some more. Peel off the lining paper.
12) Warm the apricot jam. Strain and brush half of it over the top of the cake.
13) Place the walnut halves, prunes, cherries, apricots and almonds over the cake in circular arrangement. Brush with the remaining jam and serve.