1) Whole wheat flour - 50 g.
2) All-purpose plain flour - 90 g.
3) Salt - 1/4 tsp.
4) Butter - 3 tbsp.
5) Parmesan cheese - 1/2 cup, freshly grated.
6) Egg - 1, extra large.
7) Low-fat milk - 2 tbsp.
8) Paprika - 1 tsp.
9) Sesame seeds - 1 tbsp.
A cookie sheet (lined with parchment paper), a bowl and a wire rack.
1) Turn up the oven temperature to 350 degree Fahrenheit/180 degree Centigrade.
2) Add whole wheat flour, all-purpose plain flour and salt to the bowl. Sift the ingredients, tipping in the bran left in the sifter.
3) Add in butter and sift until the mixture looks like fine bread crumbs.
4) Add in the Parmesan cheese and stir.
5) Beat the egg and milk together.
6) Keeping aside a teaspoon of the mixture, use the rest to form a dough with the dry ingredients.
7) Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
8) Sprinkle the paprika over the floured surface.
9) Spread out the dough on the surface to make a square shape (about 8").
10) Trim the square dough shape to make its edges straight.
11) Lightly moisten the dough with the reserved egg mixture. Sprinkle the sesame seeds over.
12) Slice the dough square in half. Cut the halved pieces into 40 sticks (4" by 1/2").
13) Twist each of the sticks and place on the cookie sheet.
14) Gently press down the stick ends to prevent them from untwisting themselves during baking.
15) Bake the sticks for about 15-20 minutes, or until light brown and crisp.
16) Turn off the heat and leave the sticks to cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes. Serve warm.