Can you hear the splash of the paddles? Can
you listen to the sounds of cheer? Even if you can't, you soon will. For the
Dragon Boat Festival is coming again. Popularly known in China as "Duan Wu
Jie", this wonderful occasion is typically celebrated with annual boat races
and mouthwatering Chinese recipes. With the Dragon Boat Festival coming up
again, TheHolidaySpot brings to you the recipes for some lip-smacking
Chinese dishes prepared during the event. Prepare these at your home this "Duan
Wu Jie" and pamper yourself and your loved ones. Celebrate Dragon Boat
Festival with one and all. To share these recipes with your friends, just click here.
Bamboo/reed leaves - 50 sheets.
2) Glutinous rice - 1 kg.
3) Chinese dates - 250 grams.
1) Take a large bowl and fill about 2/3rd of it with water. Immerse
the rice and the dates in it. Keep submerged for 12 hours or more to
soak them thoroughly.
2) Wash the leaves. Use a chopping board for laying them out.
3) Fold the leaves flat at the leafstalk to make a sheet.
4) Fold the sheet round in the middle to make a funnel. Ensure that
both ends of the sheet are laid over each other in one direction.
5) Now make the rice dumplings. About 1/10 kg. of rice and 6 dates
should be used for each dumpling. Cover the dates with rice. That
way not too much syrup would be lost from them during cooking.
6) Fold up the leaves to close the open side of the funnel. Tie the
leaf bundle with a band made of twisted leaves. See to it that the
bundle is tied neither too tight nor too loose so that the
ingredients are well cooked.
7) Carefully place the dumplings in a pot with water over. Make sure
they are pressed and kept undisturbed while being boiled. Chicken with Chili Garlic Sauce
1) Chicken meat - 300 g, diced.
2) Red bell pepper - 1/2, diced.
3) Chinese dates - 250 grams.
4) Green bell pepper - 1/2, diced.
5) Chili Garlic Sauce - 2 tbsp.
7) Blended Sesame Oil - 1 tsp.
8) Premium Oyster Flavored Sauce - 1 tbsp.
9) Corn starch - 1 tsp.
1) Blend chicken meat with marinade.
2) Take a medium-sized pan and stir-fry chicken in 2 tbsp oil on it.
Fry until it is done. Add bell peppers, Lee Kum Kee Chili Garlic
Sauce and heat through. Serve hot. Sweetened Red Bean Paste
1) Dried red beans - 2/3 cup.
2) Sugar - 1/2 cup.
3) Oil - 1/4 cup (for frying).
4) Water - 2 cups (for boiling).
1) Wash the beans thoroughly and place them in a medium-sized
saucepan. Soak these in water overnight to lessen the cooking time.
2) The following day, boil the beans-water solution. Simmer for
about 2 hours, until the beans have softened. Add more water if
3) In a blender, process the beans until smooth. Remove from the
blender, and stir in the sugar.
4) Get a wok/frying pan and heat the oil in it. Fry the beans for 10
- 12 minutes on medium-low heat until they are dry.
5) Using the back of a spatula, press the beans gently to form a
6) Store the beans in a sealed container in the
NOTE: Throw out any damaged beans. Stuffed Chinese Mushrooms
1) Remove stems from mushrooms. Throw them off.
2) In a medium-sized bowl, thoroughly mix the pork, turnip, soy
sauce, water chestnuts, salt, and sugar.
3) Spoon stuffing tightly into mushroom caps. Arrange these in a
steamer basket, over boiling water putting the stuffing side up.
Cover, and cook for about half an hour (or until done). Serve hot.