40-Plus women and men should do to stay healthy
All the while we worry about metabolism, while our bodies also go through catabolism in the same period.
Catabolism is degradation process, which the cells of the body go through. For example, the density of the bones decreases, the lean muscles decreases too. And its chain reaction; with the decreased muscle mass, the metabolism goes down too. Forget your days of twenties and thirties when you are in forties. At forties, your mission is to increase muscle mass and bone density, instead of losing it. This is called reversing the catabolic process and making it anabolic.
How you can achieve it:
- Eat Quality Food: Your diet must be rich in quality, giving up food and starving isn't the answer. Choose your food wisely. If you want to have sweetened food, opt for home made one, instead of that sweet chocolate bar. Look for food that is made of whole grains, instead of refined ones. Bring in dry fruits as regulars in your platter, along with fresh, seasonal fruits. Exercise caution on potion. Eat till you are satisfied, but never overeat.
- Stop Dividing Food into groups: Do not categorize food into carbohydrates, protein etc. Shift to wholesome, home cooked food.
- Calcium is a must for your diet, especially to repair your bones. Look for calcium rich food like beans and lentils, almond and leafy greens.
- Cut down on meat, increase intake of vegetables to satisfy your hunger.
- Freshness is the key: Eat fresh and locally produced food. Same goes for dairy products.
- Vitamin C: Eat a glass of lemoneez (lime juice) first thing in the morning, with plain water, no sugar or salt added. It is going to benefit you immensely.
- Do the exercise you like to do. If you like cycling, go for cycling. If you like gyming, hit the gym. If you like free hand exercise at your home or lawn, do it. But do some exercise 6 days a week. Combine it with yoga postures for maximum benefit.
- Do not overeat: As mentioned before, eat only till the point you are satisfied, but never overeat.
- Fast once a month. Fast once a month, and only take as much lime water as you can for the whole day. Break the fast in the evening, with light, easily digestible food. Feel great for the rest of the month.
- Packaged snacks: The more you can avoid, the better.
- Cold breakfast: Avoid cold breakfast. Use hot milk instead of cold milk for your breakfast cereals.
Just imbibe these simple steps into your lifestyle, and have a very happy, healthy and meaningful life your forties and fifties.