When God revealed Himself on Mount Sinai, our entire people heard his voice proclaiming the Ten Commandments.
- I am the Lord, your God who took you out from the land of Egypt.
- You shall have no other gods before me.
- You shall not take the name of the Lord, your God in vain.
- Remember the Shabbat day and keep it holy.
- Honor your Father and your Mother.
- You shall not murder.
- You shall not commit adultery.
- You shall not steal.
- You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
- You shall not want what your neighbor has.
These are the ten laws that forms the edifice of all the laws of the Torah.On one hand they insist on the oneness of the Lord and on the other they emphasise the most basic laws which every society has found it necessary to enforce, - not killing and not stealing.