Women'S Day marks the role of women in both the past
and the present. This day is not like Valentine’s Day, which is a
celebration. It was started to highlight the importance of working women and
bring to light their problems. Thus women must come together and emancipate
themselves and this is not a one-day agenda. However using such an occasion
to start the process is welcome.
This day is a great way to honor the many women in our lives- mothers,
sisters, wives, daughters — everyone should be made to feel special.
The Russians started International Women's Day in 1909, and they're still
the premier celebrators of the March 8 holiday. Around the world, the event
is a way to honor women's contributions to history. But in Russia, the
festivities go a step further - men and boys are expected to bestow presents
on all the women in their lives.
are a few ways by which you can mark the cause:
1. Think about all those women, living and dead, who have helped in their own way
to shape your life. Do something they (or at least a few of them) would have
2. Consider cooking their favorite food, planting their favorite flowers in
your garden or sending a check to their favorite charity. The idea is to
make them feel special.
3. Share your experience with your loved ones about the women you admire most. Talk about both the
ones you've known personally and those you've only read about in books.
4. Tour an art museum near you and pay special attention to the work of
female artists. Or visit the National Museum of Women in the Arts in
5. Host an all women's party and have a ball of a time.
6. Shower the women in your life with wonderful gifts (if you're a man)
expressing your love and respect towards their individuality.
7. Accept graciously when the men in your life shower you with gifts (if
you're a woman).
8. Last but of course not the least is the feeling
that originates from within-remember the hardships in general and
discrimination in particular that plagues the womankind and mars their
overall well-being because to progress (in life), one needs a
discrimination-free existence. After all,we,mere mortals should not take
the liberty to judge a person superior or inferior.
Every day goes by so quickly, so having such a day is great! However
dedicating a day for an event is not enough. The real challenge lies in the
spontaneous flow of feelings- honoring and celebrating womanhood on a
particular March 8 only to forget its importance the next day is