Celebrate International Women's Day
Women'S Day marks the role of women in both the past and the present. This day is not like Valentine’s Day, which is a celebration. It was started to highlight the importance of working women and bring to light their problems. Thus women must come together and emancipate themselves and this is not a one-day agenda. However using such an occasion to start the process is welcome.
This day is a great way to honor the many women in our lives- mothers, sisters, wives, daughters — everyone should be made to feel special.
The Russians started International Women's Day in 1909, and they're still the premier celebrators of the March 8 holiday. Around the world, the event is a way to honor women's contributions to history. But in Russia, the festivities go a step further - men and boys are expected to bestow presents on all the women in their lives.
Here are a few ways by which you can mark the cause:
- Think about all those women, living and dead, who have helped in their own way to shape your life. Do something they (or at least a few of them) would have liked.
- Consider cooking their favorite food, planting their favorite flowers in your garden or sending a check to their favorite charity. The idea is to make them feel special.
- Share your experience with your loved ones about the women you admire most. Talk about both the ones you've known personally and those you've only read about in books.
- Tour an art museum near you and pay special attention to the work of female artists. Or visit the National Museum of Women in the Arts in Washington, D.C.
- Host an all women's party and have a ball of a time.
- Shower the women in your life with wonderful gifts (if you're a man) expressing your love and respect towards their individuality.
- Accept graciously when the men in your life shower you with gifts (if you're a woman). 8. Last but of course not the least is the feeling that originates from within-remember the hardships in general and discrimination in particular that plagues the womankind and mars their overall well-being because to progress (in life), one needs a discrimination-free existence. After all,we,mere mortals should not take the liberty to judge a person superior or inferior.
Every day goes by so quickly, so having such a day is great! However dedicating a day for an event is not enough. The real challenge lies in the spontaneous flow of feelings- honoring and celebrating womanhood on a particular March 8 only to forget its importance the next day is sacrilegious.