Memorial Day Quotes and Sayings
Go through these memorable sayings on war, freedom and the sacrifice of soldiers by some of the highly renowned personalities around the world.
- For love of country they accepted death...
~ James A. Garfield.
- On thy grave the rain shall fall from the eyes of a mighty nation!
~ Thomas William Parsons.
- It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
~ General George S. Patton.
- Decoration Day is the most beautiful of our national holidays.... The grim cannon have turned into palm branches, and the shell and shrapnel into peach blossoms.
~ Thomas Bailey Aldrich.
- Who kept the faith and fought the fight;
The glory theirs, the duty ours.
~ Wallace Bruce.
- We cherish too, the Poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led,
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies.
~ Moina Michael.
- How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes!
~ Maya Angelou.
- Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
~ Senator Barry Goldwater.
- Although no sculptured marble should rise to their memory, nor engraved stone bear record of their deeds, yet will their remembrance be as lasting as the land they honored.
~ Daniel Webster.
- So long as there are men there will be wars.
~ Albert Einstein.
- The cost of liberty is less than the cost of repression.
~ Web Dubois.
- The purpose of all war is ultimately peace.
~ Saint Augustine.
- With the tears a Land hath shed
Their graves should ever be green.
~ Thomas Bailey Aldrich.
- They fell, but o'er their glorious grave
Floats free the banner of the cause they died to save.
~ Francis Marion Crawford.
- And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free, and I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me and I'll proudly stand next to him to defend her still today, 'cuz there ain't no doubt I love this land, god bless the USA.
~ Lee Greenwood.
- The story of America's quest for freedom is inscribed on her history in the blood of her patriots.
~ Randy Vader.
- The dead soldier's silence sings our national anthem.
~ Rev. Aaron Kilbourn.
- When we say "War is over if you want it," we mean that if everyone demanded peace instead of another TV set, we'd have peace.
~ John Lennon.
- The brave die never, though they sleep in dust:
Their courage nerves a thousand living men.
~ Minot J. Savage.
- They are dead; but they live in each Patriot's breast,
And their names are engraven on honor's bright crest.
~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
- Soldier, rest! Thy warfare o'er,
Sleep the sleep that knows not breaking,
Dream of battled fields no more.
Days of danger, nights of waking.
~ Sir Walter Scott.
- The greatest glory of a free-born people is to transmit that freedom to their children.
~ William Havard.
- Peace to each manly soul that sleepeth;
Rest to each faithful eye that weepeth...
~ Thomas Moore.