THINGS WHICH DO NOT BREAK THE FAST
The things that do not really end one’s fast are as follows:
If one forgetfully eats, drinks or indulges in sexual relations one is not considered to have ended his/her fasting for this means that at the time of committing that act one is unmindful of the fast. However, if one continues even momentarily after recalling the fast, then and there the Saum will be nullified.
- If one applies eye drop or if by any chance water enter one’s ears, one is not considered to have broken the fast.
- Vomiting can no way break one’s fast but it should not be self-induced. For if one deliberately vomits and if it is mouthful, then this will surely break the fast. However vomiting less than a mouthful will not break the fast even if it is deliberately induced.
- Smoke, if unintentionally inhaled will not break the fast.
- Applying Surmah into the eye or smelling any fragrant which do not contain any kind of vapor will not break the fast.
- If a food particle which is less than the size of a chana becomes unstuck from the teeth and if one unmindfully swallows the part, then one is not considered to have broken the fast.
- Swallowing saliva and slime cannot break the fast.
- In-taking of any kind of injections which do not reach the brain or stomach will not break the fast.
- Cleaning one’s teeth with miswak will not break the fast even if the miswak is fresh and has a taste.
- Blood in the saliva will not break the fast if the blood is less than the saliva. This fact will be recognized if the taste of the blood is not detected.
- Breast-feeding a baby will not break the fast.
- If during wudhu water mistakenly slips down the throat while one forgets about the saum, the fast will not break.
- Ejaculation of semen during sleep or caused by imagination will not break the fast.
- Janabat or the state of Hadath-e-Akbar which is purified by ghusl. If one has not taken ghusl and Sahri time ends, the fast is valid.
THINGS WHICH DO NOT BREAK THE FAST, BUT WHICH ARE MAKROOH DURING SAUM
Some things, while not breaking the fast are nevertheless Makrooh to do during fasting. Makrooh means detestable things thus Makrooh things are considered sinful, for it brings a decrease in committing of the Saum. It is, therefore, essential to refrain oneself from community Makrooh acts. The following acts are Makrooh during fasting.
- Tasting something if done unnecessarily is considered as Makrooh. If an ill-tempered husband shows his unjustified wrath when food has not been prepared to satisfy his taste, it will be permissible for the wife to taste the food while she is preparing it. As long as nothing goes down her throat, her fast will be valid and her act of tasting will not be Makrooh.
- Gheebat or back-biting.
- While using powder or paste to clean the teeth, if anything of these substances slips down the throat then the saum will be nullified.
- To rinse the mouth or to put water in the nose at time other than when making wudhu will not end the saum.
- While kissing caressing or fondling ones with, ejaculation does not occur then the saum will be valid.
- To take ghusl merely for cooling or if one goes for swimming.
- To unnecessarily chew something in order to soften it maybe.
- To unnecessarily apply ointment to the lips. However, due to pair caused by cracked lips, ointment is applied; care should be taken to prevent licking the ointment.
- To eat when in doubt as regards the existence of Sahri time. If later it transpires that Shari time had in fact expires, quadha will be obligatory.
- To make Iftar (i.e. to break the fast) when in doubt as to the time of sunset. If it transpires that the time when iftar was made the sun had not yet set then quadha will be obligatory.
- However if one participates an in un-Islamic activities such as watching television and playing games such as chess, draughts, monopoly, etc. then the thawa of the Saum is duly destroyed for one is said to be indulging oneself in unlawful