1) Extra-virgin olive oil - 1 tbsp.
2) Onions - 2, chopped.
3) All-purpose plain flour - 1 tbsp.
4) Red bell pepper - 1, seeded and chopped.
5) Celery stalks - 2, chopped.
6) Garlic cloves - 3, chopped.
7) Canadian bacon - 2 oz (60 g), lean smoked and diced.
8) Paprika - 1 tbsp.
9) Fish stock - 1 quart (35 fl oz./1 ltr), preferably homemade.
10) Fresh thyme - 1 tsp., chopped.
11) Tomatoes - 1/2 can (400 g), crushed.
12) Parsley - 2 tbsp., chopped.
13) Bay leaves - 2.
14) Worcestershire sauce - 2 tsp.
15) Hot red pepper sauce (to taste).
16) Okra - 3 oz. (80 g), sliced crosswise.
17) Shelled raw large shrimp - 12 oz. (350 g).
18) Green beans - 1/3 cup (56 g), thin and cut into bite-size pieces.
19) Scallions - 3, thinly sliced.
A large saucepan and several bowls.
1) Pour oil into the saucepan and heat.
2) Toss in the onions, bell pepper and celery. Saute for about 5 mins or until light brown.
3) Add in the garlic and bacon. stir and cook for 4 minutes more.
4) Pour in the flour and stir. Turn up the oven temperature a little more and stir for 2 more mins.
5) Add the paprika in and stir for 2-3 mins more.
6) Add in the stock little by little. Stir well to dissolve the flour mixture.
7) Add the thyme, tomatoes, parsley, bay leaves and Worcestershire sauce. Boil a little and then lower the heat.
8) Add hot red pepper sauce to taste.
9) Toss in the okra. Simmer the ingredients for about 15 mins., or until the okra is tender and the gumbo mixture has thickened.
10) Add the shrimp and green beans.
11) Cook for about 3 mins., or until the beans are crisp-tender and the shrimp is pink in colour.
12) Take the bay leaves away. Rub the gumbo with salt and pepper to season.
13) Sprinkle the sliced scallions over the shrimp gumbo. Serve in bowls.